IF YOU GOT HERE VIA A SEARCH ENGINETHIS WILL TAKE YOU TO THE WAGNER HOME,
This will take you toPage 1
Building a Mauser Match Rifle - Page 5
The action was fitted to the unfinished stock, a BSA 24-power scope was installed, and the rifle was test fired. The test firing was for two reasons. First, I am going to apply a paint finish to the metalwork, and the scope base is a part of the metalwork. So I want the front ring "rotated" into the correct position, windage-wise before blasting and painting. Second, it seemed that E.R. Shaw furnished a 22-250 rather than a 22-250 A.I. chamber. The test firing proved my suspicions, the chamber was a SAMMI standard 22-250.
The barrel was stamped (using the homemade jig) 22-250. Look closely and you can see the lower half of the front scope ring just above the corner of the marking jig. Also see that I have removed the windage screws at the rear of the base and screwed small wooden dowels into the threaded holes. (Actually candy apple stick pieces - never throw ANYTHING away)
The barrel and action, with the front ring were blasted and are in the oven being pre-heated prior to coating.
The coating I used was Brownells Bake-On lacquer, about $8/can, good for two rifles. I did the rear scope ring, floorplate, trigger guard and extractor box as well as the three screw-heads.
The stock was painted with Formby's Stone Finish, just because it was on sale. Because this is a match rifle I didn't modify the safety, although I will, sometime.
Some test loads were developed while zeroing the scope. With 39.0 gr. of IMR 5010 behind a 75 gr. A-Max, using a CCI LR primer, I got 2700 FPS with a SD of 15. This is the maximum physical load, as the powder is compressed when seating the bullet. This load shows NO signs of pressure - I now miss the Ackley Improved chamber. I think the A.I. would accept at least one more grain of powder.
Tomorrow is F-Class Match No. 3, and I'll try out the rifle at 600 yards.
Continued on Page 6 J -Firing Results